Saliva is an important part of a healthy body. Being mostly made of water, saliva provides lubrication for chewing and swallowing. It also contains important substances that your body needs to digest food and keep your teeth strong. Here are a few fascinating facts like will make you love your spit!
- Saliva is about 99% water, with a mix of proteins, vitamins, minerals, hormones, and other substances along with traces of food and toothpaste.
- For the average person, hundreds of salivary glands in the mouth produce about a quart of liquid a day. That is enough to fill two medium-size bathtubs a year!
- Food molecules must be completely covered in saliva in order to be recognized by the taste buds.
- Saliva contains antibodies that fight germs, along with substances that promote skin cell growth and blood clotting.
- When you are nervous or frightened saliva production reduces. Saliva flow is controlled by the nervous system. It can be reduced as part of the “fight or flight” response. Remember, much more common than many would think!